Sunday, April 10

Getting back to GRACE... Part IV... SMASH!

A floating cork.


And here I thought I was a fish... busting-ass, swimming against the current, and STILL, finding my self belly-up.


A million directions and a million things all flying at me at once! I'm getting more than stressed... more than depressed.... more than can be expressed.


But I keep on swimming.


So, out of the murky waters ... somewhere way up-stream... some foggy image starts taking shape... and it's coming at me fast...But it's not what I think it is... 


POW! 


Mr. SMASH splashes into the stream like a raging maniac and unbeknown to me sends this out!!!


Now, keep in mind, I'm still flopping around without a clue of any of it. It was shared post 'Operation' anonymously...:


Derrick Smash January 28 at 3:33pmAlright guys. Everyone receiving this message 1) knows Evan and furthermore 2) knows his current situation.
When Evan was discharged from his long hospital stay, he had nowhere to go except for where he came from - a campground...which I feel is probably what got him sick in the first place. Since I couldn't watch this happen, Michelle and I took him into our home to give him a recovery location through the winter months.
His health is drastically better, and my girl and I are looking forward to having our own space again. I have given Evan until March 1st to find his next living situation. While I know that he is more than happy to live the way he did, I would feel a lot better is he had somewhere better to go.
Evan has a downpayment on an airstream trailer. He owes $3000 for it to be his. I present the idea of throwing a fundraiser for this cause. It would be on a Saturday or Sunday from something along the lines of noon to 8pm. It would be a closed-door event: blinds closed, doors locked, and Evan supporters having a party. Maybe a silly theme - chicago prohibition, silly hats only, etc, etc. Possibly a cover charge, altered liquor/beer prices, etc, etc. Actual strategies and activities to actually bring the cash in is in the works. Either way...we are going to have a huge fucking party.
Terry, the owner of the corner, has already agreed for these shananigans to ensue. He is willing to close his bar down for us and Evan on either a Saturday or Sunday for the time slot stated above. We are thinking one of the weekends in mid-February.
Now, my questions to you guys is 1) which day is better? Why? and 2) will you be there?
Also, a few more things to understand. Evan is a proud man and I am not sure if I am going to let him in on these plans just yet. It is more than likely that he would be embarassed (he shouldn't) by his "roomie" throwing an event to pay off his airstream prior to his departure from my home. If this is in fact the case, is it more than likely that I will personally take the funds we raise to the campground to pay off the airstream owner, getting the keys, coming back home and giving to Evan.
The airstream in it and of itself is another issue. The lady he owes seem to be getting fed up...and his down payment is what it is: a sum of intial payment that 'reserves' a purchase but is fortfeited if balance isn't paid off in a certain time frame. A couple of us know that this line is getting damn close. I am doing what I can to make sure they can wait it out for atleast several more weeks. I am not completely sure of the actual shakeyness of this loss of down payment concept, but from overhearing conversations and stuff...this does seem to be a rational fear. Like I said, I will take care of that.
So yea, give me some insight. What day works better for you guys? I gotta start making a list of attendees.
-derricksmash
ps) If you feel that you aren't sure if you can attend, but would still like to contribute, you can donate directly to Evan through me. I am trustworthy as hell. I will make sure that 100% of donations go towards the cause. If you want to remain anonymous, I will respect those wishes as well.


Now, I thought something was odd that day, cause Smash! wanted the email addresses of my two peers and the lady with the unit. So I provide 'em to him.

AND THE SMASH! SMASHES MORE!

Here's that SMASH! sent later that day:

Subject: hey guys... My name’s Derrick. I’ve been housing Evan for the last 4 months since his discharge from U of C Medical Hospital. He seems to be “healed” in regards to the physical incapability he once bore when he first moved in. He has been living in my front room. I have provided parking for his vehicle, a roof over his head, a bed (couch), food, electricity, high speed internet, a bathroom, and all other amenities included w/ my living style. I have asked not a penny from him…not because I can afford that, but because I know that he can’t. He has occasionally purchased groceries for our home with the miniscule paychecks he occasionally receives and that’s all I’ve asked of him. Seeing the situation he’s in physically is something I’ve decided to make a move on. Our deal was for me to give him space to heal and it has been reached. I have given Evan until March 1stto get his next living situation figured out. He is about 100% healed and for the last month or so has been using 100% of all of his energy and my resources to keep himself, you guys, and vortex depollution up and somewhat running. He has occupied approximately 1/3 of my space and resources for the last 4 months. If I were to reveal what 1/3 of my home’s operating cost is for 4 months, that’s the figure it has cost me so far to keep Evan physically healthy enough to work. This money I will never ask of him – he’s a friend and he would do the same for me. I am not sure about how informed you are with the health state he was in, but it is very possible that I kept him alive. His only plan of action now is to get into this airstream trailer. I would be much happier having him leave my home and heading to his new home, the airstream, instead of living like he did. The way he lived before was what put him in the hospital. I have anger, frustration and pity in the way Evan has been treated financially for all the work he does for a greater power – Vortex – but I am trying my hardest to suppress that. I am planning a fundraiser to take place at a bar I work at probably on the weekend of 2/19. I have talked the owner into letting me close down the bar and making a “private event” from noon to about 6pm. The only people who are coming in are supporters of Evan. The goal of the fundraiser is to make Evan enough money to pay off that airstream. Profits will go to him, possibly raffle-type events, maybe some gambling of some sort, etc, etc. In the past we’ve been able to raise as much as $2000. This event won’t do that because it will have to be a private event with only 20 – 30 of Evan’s supporters coming out - most of which I know are in bad socioeconomic states themselves. Evan is a simple person who gets very emotional when people come help him in times of need and that’s why I know people will show up. You guys are invited too =) What I am requesting of you guys is to make up the difference between what we raise for Evan and the remaining balance on the airstream – which I believe is approx $3000, but I am not entirely sure. He and Vortex have cost me a large financial burden and the bar being closed to the public for the fundraiser is going to cost my boss a lot of money. The owner and myself are in no way going to ask for this to be recuperated, but letting you know that you owe at leastthis to Evan. I know he busts his ass for you guys hell of a lot more than what he’s given credit for. What do ya say? Please inform.

Now, still unawares of any of this... the water starts to bubble!

It isn't until this one that I'm even aware any of this was happening: (Keep in mind, I don't think it was intended at this point that I should know... but, I got included by accident... and the cat was out of the bag!)


derricksmash!

 to aj51378cohnersamandafosterli.amyamy.troutmillerapowersoptimusomega3anthonyarnoweb1Aprunekandacekilgoreasharmastillbartbizneltastetherichne.bradcortrightbzipsercallie.g.harriscarljeromecgrillierkchisakacjeskabrucecjgladstone34Glittershoedaniel.fickel
show details Feb 10
What’s up Everyone:

My name is Derrick Pugh. I am a friend of Evan and have been helping him get through this winter of poor health and living situation. His condition now is nearly back to 100% since his discharge from UofC Hospital four months ago. He is back on his feet and we have mutually decided on a move-out date from my home – March 1st.

A lot of you already know about this event and I apologize if you are receiving this information yet again.

Unbeknownst to him, I am throwing a fundraiser. The goal of this fundraiser, cleverly titled “Operation Airstream”, is to raise the additional $3000 he still owes on his airstream trailer. He laid his down payment of $2000 at the end of Summer 2010. He had an action plan implemented to ensure that the remaining balance ($3000) was covered and the airstream was his prior to Winter of 2010. This whole plan was ruined by his health – he became hospitalized for nearly a month and has resided at my home since about October 2010.

The idea of raising money to get him into an airstream as opposed to an apartment or some other form of ‘normality’ may sound dubious to many - but if you know Evan, trust me, he wouldn’t have it any other way. While many people dream of a lavish mansion on the seaside, Evan simply dreams of his airstream.

This fundraiser is taking place on Sunday, February 20th. It will go from 11am to approximately 5pm. I work at a bar called “The Corner” and the owner has agreed to shut his business’ doors to the public for this timeframe and dedicate it to raising funds for Operation Airstream. You are all invited to this event as well as anyone else you/Evan knows that is willing to contribute. It will basically be just like any other Sunday afternoon of daydrinking at a bar – the only difference is that this will be a “closed door” event for us friends of Evan with the intent to raise money for his airstream. Actual means of raising funds are still TBA – people have spoke about hosting auctions for some unused appliances, old clothes, some cash raffles, etc - worst case is you show up and contribute what you can and we physically donate what we can. Additionally, the day after (Monday the 21st) is a National Holiday (Presidents’ Day) – and that always makes Sunday drinking more fun!  If you have and idea to raise funds, come with it.

If you’d like to RSVP, let me know ASAP so we can plan food and inventory accordingly. If you’d like to be included on the official Facebook Event Page, send me a friend request and I will then invite you to the Event. From there, you can invite whomever you’d like that will contribute. My personal Facebook page is www.facebook.com/derricksmash. I recommend you do this as the Facebook Event Page will have the most up-to-date information about the fundraiser.

The Corner Bar
2224 N Leavitt (Near Damen and Webster in Bucktown)
Chicago, IL 60647
11:00AM to ~5:00PM
Street Parking is Public

If you can’t make the event for whatever reason, but would like to donate, let me know (via reply or facebook) and I will personally assure you that all funds will go towards the Operation Airstream and your anonymity will be held in confidence if you so choose.

cheers, derricksmash


SMASH!!!


And then lightning crashes!!! Marie from the Rip-Tide passes...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/obituaries/ct-met-wuczynski-obit-20110209,0,6738886.story

And I'm speechless... utterly speechless.


To continue, next post.


Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment